I was surprised at how easy it is to make your own ice cream cake at home. Even though this recipe is peanut butter-overload, it can be modified to any flavor you desire!
There are a few notes on keeping the Oreos coarse rather than pulverizing them until they're powder. This is a very important tip for an ice cream cake. After making my first cake, we found the powder-like Oreo crumbs created a crust too hard to cut without letting the cake sit out to soften for way too long (melty cake = too messy). Also, don't use Double-Stuffed Oreos. I know, regular-stuffed Oreos just aren't as delicious. Problem is, the double stuffed is not the best at making crusts.
|Love this one of my little man sneaking a peek at the cake.|
Death by Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
- Peanut Butter ice cream (whatever your favorite type is)
- Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Oreos
- 1/4 cup of salted butter (equal to 1 half stick)
- Peanut Butter
- Magic Shell (or homemade magic shell)
- Reeses Pieces
- Place Oreo inside of a gallon size Ziploc bag.
- Use a mallet or hard object to crush the Oreos. Stop when the Oreos are semi-coarse (some finer crumbs, some larger crumbs, but no large pieces left). If using a food processor, leave them semi-coarse.
- Pour the Oreo crumbs into a spring-form pan (9 in. or 10 in.).
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- Pour over Oreo crumbs and mix well.
- Press the crumb mixture to compact it against the bottom of the pan, creating a crust.
- Spoon half of the softened ice cream into the pan. Smooth the ice cream.
- Melt 1/2 cup of peanut butter (about 20-30 seconds in the microwave).
- Pour onto the ice cream. Smooth out.
- Drizzle magic shell over the peanut butter.
- Place the cake in the freezer for at least an hour (return remaining ice cream to the freezer)
- Remove from freezer after the peanut butter/magic shell layer has hardened.
- Scoop the remaining softened ice cream on top of the magic shell/peanut butter layer. Smooth ice cream.
- Melt 1/2 cup of peanut butter.
- Pour onto ice cream. Smooth out.
- Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer.
- Decorate with Reese's Pieces.
- Return to freezer for at least an hour to set-up.