Word Fish is a simple game I created for centers years ago. It uses sight word playing cards in a game of Go Fish. In addition to playing Word Fish with the cards, I also use the same cards for Memory. For this post, I have provided you with the backs to copy onto the back of the Word Fish or Memory cards. There is a set of cards for each Dolch level as well as a blank file ready to enter your own sight words.
Tips for Playing in the Classroom
- While I have provided you with both the backs for Word Fish and Memory, I suggest only making copies for either Word Fish or Memory. You can plan both games using the same cards. No need to waste materials making both unless you want both stations going at the same time.
- I print a copy of the backs and the cards and then run them through our school copier double-sided so that the cards have the backs on them. You do not need to do this step if it's easier for you. I would just suggest copying the cards onto colored card stock so that they are not as see-through as paper (kids like to peek through. I made the backs to prevent peeking).
- Laminate the cards so you can use them year after year. Also, print on card stock to increase durability.
- Send the file home (through e-mail or on a flash drive) and your sight word list. Have a parent volunteer type your sight words into the file. This is a great project for parent volunteers to make for you!
Tips for Playing at Home (for Parents)
- This is a great game to play at home. You can print the cards based on your child's level or use the blank file to create the game using your child's classroom sight words.
- Don't worry about printing the backs on the cards. This is just added flourish for the cards but is not needed to play the game.
- Print on card stock to increase the game's durability. I suggest printing on colored card stock.
Materials Needed to Play
- 2 copies of your level's sight words cards per group of students (they need to make matches in both games so you will need 2 copies to make a match).
- 1 copy of directions per center
Click the links below to download the files. After the file opens, go to File, Download (or CTRL + S).
- Word Fish Directions
- Memory Directions
- Word Fish Backs
- Memory Backs
- Blank Sight Word Card (customize with your own sight words)
- Pre-primer Dolch Cards (preschool/kindergarten)
- Primer Dolch Cards (kindergarten)
- First Grade Dolch Cards
- Second Grade Dolch Cards
- Third Grade Dolch Cards