Welcome to Hand-Me-Down Mom Genes

Friday, May 2, 2014

When you are a child, you are often asked what you want to be when you grow up. I remember clearly telling teachers that I wanted to be a stay-at-home Mom just like my Mom and Grandma. But my answer would be brushed aside, “but what do you want to be when you grow up.” Frustrated, I would give whatever job my friends were saying. It wasn't until high school that I decided to become a special education teacher. (Temporarily, I considered being a graphic designer but that’s another story).

Even though I was preparing to become a teacher, I still made it clear to my boyfriends friends that what I really wanted to be was a stay-at-home Mom. In a world where women continue to struggle for job equality, I was praying that my future husband would be antiquated understanding enough to let me stay home with my children.

In 2007, I was lucky enough to meet a wonderful man who understood my desire to eventually leave the workforce to raise our future children. He worked hard and made sacrifices so that I could land my dream job.

On December 7, 2012, I took on the role I was always meant to play, Mom. As a third-generation stay-at-home Mom, I have used my “hand-me-down mom genes” to guide me on my journey through motherhood.

On this Mom-Blog, I will be sharing all things family-related. This will include printables, crafts, holiday ideas, recipes (including fun kid-friendly recipes), organizing ideas, entertaining/party ideas, Mommy-hood information, and of course adorable pictures of my family along the way. I am most looking forward to sharing my scanned copies of my Mom and Grandma's recipes as Carl and I try them out ourselves. 

Join Carl, Cosby, and me as we bake, craft, decorate, celebrate, and more here at Hand-Me-Down Mom Genes.

*For those of you that are coming here from Bed Rested Teacher, thank you for understanding my need to change blog directions. While I loved finding and sharing ideas for teachers, it just didn't fit my new lifestyle anymore. I hope that you stick with me as I start this new path on Hand-Me-Down Mom Genes! 

My favorite kitchen helper :)

post signature

2 comments :

  1. Kudos Laura for your desire to be home with your son! You have a beautiful blog and I was wondering how you had pulled such a great place together when I realized your blog was so new (I'm learning as I go and make updates all along, trying to get where I want to be). Then I saw your little note at the end of your post - you've done this before! It all looks great. Best wishes on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Karen! I ran my other blog for about 6 months and learned a lot in that little bit of time. It was definitely much easier setting this blog up having done it before! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete