This is another simple sight word game that is great for centers or for parents at home. Once again, I created the game using the Dolch Word list and also provided a blank template to create your own.
- “Oh No!” Cards
- Sight Word Cards
- Small Gift bag
- Place all of the sight word and “Oh No!” cards into the small gift bag. Shake to mix.
- 2+ students are needed to play this game.
- Students take turns pulling a word out of the bag. If they can read the sight word, they keep the card.
- If they can’t read the word, the put the card back in the bag and it’s the next student’s turn.
- If a student gets an “Oh No!” card, they have to put all of their cards back in the bag.
- The student with the most cards at the end wins.
Laminate these cards so that they last. If you have parent volunteers, this is another great game they can prepare for you. Send the parent the template (e-mail or flash drive) and your sight word list. Let them type the words into the template. Then have another parent volunteer cut them out and separate them.
I separate my sight words into sandwich bags by monthly theme. This way I can easily update the game throughout the year by switching out the sight word cards. Watch for wandering eyes; students often try to peek into the bag to avoid or purposely get the “Oh No!” cards.
Click the links below to download the files. After the file opens, go to File, Download (or CTRL + S).
Files to Download
- Pre-primer Oh No! (preschool/kindergarten)
- Primer Oh No! (kindergarten)
- First Grade Oh No!
- Second Grade Oh No!
- Third Grade Oh No!
- Blank Oh No! (make your own!)